Assalammualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
Duli Yang Maha Mulia
Paduka Seri Sultan Perak Darul Ridzuan
Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Azlan
Muhibbuddin Shah Al-Maghfur-Lah
Ampun Tuanku, Sembah Patik Mohon Diampun
Izinkan patik, bagi pihak Suruhanjaya Persaingan Malaysia (MyCC) serta seluruh warga MyCC dengan penuh hormat dan takzimnya merafak sembah menjunjung setinggi-tinggi kasih di atas limpah perkenan Duli Yang Maha Mulia Tuanku sudi mencemar duli berangkat ke Persidangan Persaingan Malaysia 2017 pada pagi ini.
Patik mohon perkenan Tuanku untuk turut mengalu-alukan serta berucap kepada hadirin sekalian dalam Bahasa Inggeris.
The Honourable Dato' Seri Hamzah Zainudin,
Ministry of Domestic Trade, Co-operatives and Consumerism;
The Honourable Dato' Sri Jamil Salleh,
Ministry Of Domestic Trade, Co-Operatives & Consumerism; Honorable Judges;
Ladies and Gentlemen;
1. I am highly privileged to greet you this morning and bid you a warm welcome to this very significant conference which I am confident will contribute greatly to the development of competition law in Malaysia This conference brings to Malaysia the ideas and practices of more established practitioners from around the world, and it can only elevate the work that we are trying to carry out here in this country.
2. The MyCC started its humble beginnings in mid-2011 and I am proud to say we have faced and overcome many challenges along the way. I am pleased to report that the MyCC has begun to further impress upon businesses, and society at large, the importance of complying with the Competition Act 2010. 2017 marks the sixth year of enforcement of the Competition Act in Malaysia
3. MyCC has also tirelessly focused its energy implementing and promoting the Act through its activities decisions and engagements with stakeholders, while growing in size and responsibilities The MyCC has placed emphasis on the effective enforcement of its regulatory policies in order to cultivate an environment of competitiveness in the local business landscape.
4. Please allow me to update you on the most significant impact and outcomes within the last five (5) years as well as the MyCC's current progress to demonstrate our firm commitment to facilitate and protect competition for everyone: ' Since its establishment, MyCC has organised 200 advocacy programmes to private and public sectors throughout Malaysia In terms of investigation and enforcement, from Ist January 2012 to 28 February 2017, we have received a total of 293 complaints, 250 of which have been resolved. MyCC is currently investigating 13 cases and 12 complaints are under assessment. For market reviews two have been finalized namely a Research on the Fixing of Fees by Professional Bodies in 2013 and a Review on the Domestic Broiler Market in Peninsular Malaysia in 2014. Currently MyCC is in the midst of conducting a "Market Review on the As regards Intellectual Property and Competition Law, preparations are underway to formulate new Guidelines on Intellectual Property and Competition Law which will be finalised by the end of this year. Ampun Tuanku, Ladies and Gentlemen,
5. This year we will continue our focus to engage with both the public and private sectors to increase awareness of competition law in the country by conducting more advocacy activities and even conducting market surveys to identify breaches in competition law in certain industries We have seen positive results from our efforts as indicated by the increasing number of complaints received from consumers and business sectors
6. Working with the public and private universities has allowed the MyCC to introduce new courses that may benefit our university graduates to understand the concept and acquire the skills of competition law. This will ensure that the new generation of graduates and professionals will be educated and trained effectively in the area of Competition Law and Policy. The programmes and initiatives we have conducted have been rewarded with excellent responses, enthusiastic participation, and we will continue with these initiatives to encourage more students This can also be seen by the presence of a large number of University students at this opening session of the conference.
7. The MyCC has been serious in promoting and facilitating a strong culture of competition in Malaysia in its role as the enforcer of the Competition Act 2010. Through its investigations, enforcement, advocacy and outreach activities, the MyCC plays a crucial role in changing Malaysia's business communities mindset by promoting increased awareness in competition law and policy. As more businesses discover the benefits of healthy and competitive markets, they become more innovative, efficient and capable of competing on the global stage. To achieve these goals, the MyCC will also need to continue to grow and disseminate expertise in competition law through networking efforts
8. We still have a long road ahead Our stakeholders have had high expectations for what the MyCC can accomplish in just a short time, despite the limits to our capacities Several challenges remain to be overcome Enforcement of competition law remains a complicated issue even in the biggest and most well..established jurisdictions, due to the complex and technical nature of the subject. Detecting and investigating cases require considerable economic and legal expertise; thus, the MyCC
9. In view of the MyCC's hard work and diligence over the years, it will remain focused in our efforts to be successful in the years to come by executing its mandate efficiently and effectively, with a commitment to ensuring a conducive competition culture to make markets work well for consumers, businesses and the overall economy.
10. Looking back at the past few years, we have indeed come a long way. We have faced numerous hurdles and challenges during our first few years when we had limited resources but we grew slowly and steadily, getting more powerful and knowledgeable with each passing day. We are changing the business environment, by changing the rules of the game for the better.
11. I hope everyone gathered here today will participate fully in this conference and bring away new insights and ideas that will help to elevate an awareness of Competition Law in their respective countries. The Organising Committee has worked extremely hard to bring together an esteemed line-up of experts and I hope all of us take the lessons gained and experiences shared to heart, and help develop Competition Law both locally and globally.
12. On behalf of MyCC, I take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude to the distinguished speakers for honouring our invitations to participate in this conference. I would also like to thank the Members of the Commission for their advice and invaluable viewpoints in guiding the MyCC, and the employees of the MyCC for their support and hard work. I also offer my thanks to the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Co- operatives and Consumerism, our stakeholders and the public for providing their support and feedback.
13. With the cooperation from all of you, I am confident that we can achieve our goal of making Malayeia a more globally competitive nation.
Sekian sahaja sembah ucapan patik. Patik sekali lagi bagi plhak Suruhanjaya Per6aingan Malayeia (MyCC) serta 6eluruh warga MyCC dengan penuh hormat dan takzimnya merafak sembah menjunjung setinggi-tinggi kasih di atas limpah perkenan Duli Yang Maha Mulia Tuanku sudi mencemar duli berangkat ke Persldangan Persaingan Malaysia 2017 pada pagi ini.
Ampun Tuanku Sembah Patik mohon Diampun.
Patik menjunjung kasih Tuanku.
Wabillahitaufikwalhidayah, wassalamualikum w.b.t.